Bausch & Lomb Contact Lens Centre
The Bausch & Lomb Contact Lens Centre (named after our donors Bausch and Lomb, USA), is the most advanced and leading contact lens centre in this part of the world. Established in 1989 it combines state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure with world class expertise. Our contact lens clinicians are internationally recognized specialists.
The contact lens clinic at LVPEI examines, prescribes, and fits patients with contact lenses, after ascertaining what would be most suitable to their condition.
Contact lenses are prescribed for three broad categories of patients:
1. For routine use in patients with myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia.
2. For patients with ectatic disorders or eye conditions such as keratoconus, keratoglobus, Pellucid marginal degeneration, and Terrien's marginal degeneration.
3. For post-surgical use in patients with aphakia, post LASIK, post photorefractive keratectomy (PRK), post corneal transplant or penetrating keratoplasty (PK), post corneal tear repair, corneal scars, pediatric aphakia, post radial keratectomy (RK)
The highlights of the Bausch & Lomb Contact Lens Centre are:
Our clinics are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment.
- A wide variety of trial lenses designed to deal with even the most complicated contact lens fitting problems
- A complete range of instruments to test the lenses to ensure that we deliver only the highest quality lenses to our patients
- Access to the latest and most advanced contact lens designs in the world
The Contact Lens Centre is also specialized in advanced contact lens fitting like in keratoconus, ‘Rose K' contact lens fitting, scleral lens fitting, piggy back contact lens fitting, post penetrating keratoplasty (PK) contact lens fitting, etc.
In addition to post-surgical and post-traumatic contact lens fitting, Toric lenses for astigmatism, cosmetic contact lenses, prosthetic tinted lenses, and bandage contact lenses are prescribed and fitted here. We also offer disposable and frequent replacement lenses.
A well-designed patient instruction area offers a patient-friendly setting for high quality medical care.
Brien A. Holden Contact Lens Research Division
The Contact Lens Centre is supported by a research division which evaluates a wide range of lenses to identify their advantages as well as any potential negative effects.
The Clinical Research Division is a sophisticated clinical ophthalmic research facility, with a highly qualified research team and the most technically advanced equipment. Prospective contact lens trials are an ongoing project in collaboration with the Cornea & Contact Lens Research Unit (CCLRU), in Sydney, Australia. The centre tests some of the most recent developments in the field of contact lenses.
Some prominent features of The centre are:
- Highly qualified clinicians who are regularly monitored for concordance in ocular evaluation;
- Excellent infrastructure which includes nine modern examination rooms, a spacious teaching area, a comfortable waiting area for participants and an excellent data management system;
- The most up-to-date diagnostic and documentation facilities for both the anterior and posterior segments of the eye;
- A consistent record of good clinical practice which includes:
- Approvals by an ethics committee,
- Informed patient consent,
- Systematic documentation,
- Standardised operating procedures, and
- Data auditing and security.
All these are an inherent part of all our clinical procedures and research projects. Moreover, all our projects are monitored by a research council.